The Prix Ars Electronica is the world’s most time-honored media arts competition. Winners are eligible for the coveted Golden Nica awards and monetary prizes of up to 10,000 euros in each category. They will also be featured at the Ars Electronica Festival from September 7 to 11, 2022!
In addition, there is a further prize, the Award for Digital Humanity, worth 10,000 euros initiated by the Austrian Foreign Ministry.
No more projects can be submitted for the Prix Ars Electronica 2022. The next Open Call will start in January 2023!
Submission start: January 13, 2022
Extended Submission deadline: March 14, 2022 (11:59 PM CET)
Participation in the Prix Ars Electronica is free of charge and takes place exclusively online. A submission is only valid for participation in the competition if it has been submitted online and also finally completed online. As soon as all documents have been submitted in full, a confirmation of participation will be sent by e-mail.
The 2022 categories
PRIX ARS ELECTRONICA and Ars Electronica Award for Digital Humanity
A project submitted to the Prix Ars Electronica is automatically submitted for the “Ars Electronica Award for Digital Humanity” as well.
PRIX ARS ELECTRONICA und STARTS PRIZE
A project may be entered to both the STARTS Prize and the Prix Ars Electronica. It is therefore possible to win both the STARTS Prize and a Prix Ars Electronica award at the same time. To do so, submit your project to the specified Prix Ars Electronica category (Computer Animation, Artificial Intelligence & Life Art und Digital Musics & Sound Art) and in the appropriate entry field at the end of the submission confirm that the project is also to be considered for the STARTS prize. Submitters, who registered already for the Prix Ars Electronica, can use this account also for the STARTS Prize.
The JuryEvery year since 1987, the Prix Ars Electronica has honored the world’s best media art works. Once a year a jury of international experts meets in Linz to select the winners of the renowned media art prize.
- A work may be entered in only one category. An artist may submit more than one work.
- Entrants are requested not to submit irreplaceable originals since submitted materials cannot be returned.
- In addition to the general entry details and rules, special entry rules apply to each individual category. (have a look at the category descriptions)
- If your entry is awarded a prize or receives a Honorary Mention, your material will be used for the catalog, DVD (CD) and the Prix Ars Electronica website (see Rights), so we ask you to prepare your picture and text material carefully.
- Employees of the organizers, sponsors and patrons of the Prix Ars Electronica, staff members of organizations that have established and endowed an individual category, as well as the competition’s jurors are ineligible to participate.
- If you send in additional material pertaining to your submission via post, please mail it by the submission deadline (date of postmark is determinative) to: Ars Electroncia Linz GmbH & Co KG, Ars-Electronica-Straße 1, 4040 Linz, Austria, Code: “Category (e.g. Computer Animation)”
- Submitting an entry to the Prix Ars Electronica is free of charge.
- Extended Submission Deadline: March 14, 2022
- Jury Sessions: April 28 – May 1, 2022
- Notification: Winners of Golden Nicas, Awards of Distinction and Honorary Mentions will be notified before end of May, 2022. (Ars Electronica only notificate in case the project is selected for the prize)
- Awards Ceremony: The Prix Ars Electronica ceremony will take place during the Ars Electronica Festival (September 7-11, 2022). Winners of Golden Nicas and Awards of Distinction must make a commitment to accepting their awards and to presenting their works at the Prix Ars Electronica Forum, an artist symposium. Groups and institutions are requested to nominate a representative to fulfill this commitment.
Ars Electronica Linz GmbH & Co KG,